The name of the Well-Gait can be traced back to 1409, when the use of the Lady Well at the foot of the Hilltown was granted by Sir James Scrymgeoure of Dudhope to the inhabitants; and this was the “gait” or road to the Well which had been in use since time immemorial.
In the charter conferring this privilege the well is described as “the Well of the Blessed Maria of Dundee,” and it formed the chief source of the water supply of the burgh for centuries. There was formerly a stone erection around the well, which was removed when Victoria Road was formed in 1872. The later designation was “Our Lady Well,”.
Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925