The oldest street in Dundee is the passage from the shore to the High Street, which has been known as Tindal’s Wynd for four centuries. In very early days this formed the only access from the harbour to the Castle, hence its original name “Castle Wynd”. The ground beside this passage had formed part of the endowment of the Abbey of Balmerino when founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon, about 1199; and the Abbot’s house was here. One of the earliest burgesses of Dundee named in records was “Rodger del Vend” (Roger of the Wynd), and he lived there in 1270 while the Castle was in existence.
About 1312 the name of the lane was changed to “Skirling's Wynd” from Bailie Alexander Skirling or Scralynge, who at that time had a house there. In 1563 the house ath the north–east side of the lane (where the Royal Bank of Scotland now stands) was purchased by David Tindal or Tendell, a prominent baker and town councillor, when the name of Tindal’s Wynd was adopted and has since remained.
Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925