Streetwise: St. Vincent Street, Broughty Ferry

Name Plate

St. Vincent Street, Broughty Ferry, was named after John Jervis, Earl of St. Vincent (1735–1823), who obtained that title after his defeating the Spanish Fleet off Cape St. Vincent, on 14th February, 1797. It is worthy of note that no less than six street, roads, and places in Broughty Ferry, Downfield, Dundee, and Lochee, were named “Camperdown” in memory of the great victory by Admiral Duncan in the same year.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925