Streetwise: Stirling Street

Stirling Street

Stirling Street is really a corrupted form of “Skirling Street”, as the property through which the street runs belonged to Bailie Alexander Skirling in 1341, and was long known as “Skirling’s Park”. This notable Bailie was also possessor of the Wynd, formerly called “Skirling’s Wynd”, and, after 1560, named “Tendall’s Wynd”, which designation it still bears.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925