Streetwise: Orchar Park

Name Plate

Orchar Park Broughty Ferry, in which district this Park is situated, became a part of the City of Dundee in 1923, under the Extension of the City Act. In 1887, on the occasion of the First Jubilee of Queen Victoria, the conversion of the lease of the ground was acquired by the Commissioners, of the Burgh at that time and in 1890 James Guthrie Orchar (1825–1898), who was for many years Provost of Broughty Ferry, at his own expense, erected the wall and railing by which the Park is surrounded.

 

This public resort was named “Orchar Park” in honour of Provost Orchar, who had done much towards obtaining the Park for the community.

 

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925