Name derived from Robert Mitchell, wright, proprietor of front tenement 1786, but earlier origins perhaps 15th century. So-called ‘Graham of Fintry’s Chapel’ built here c.1550, probably on site of earlier 16th-century tenement. Mid 16th-century building extant at time of demolition.
Close demolished 1870–1 to allow improvement to Seagate and extension to Gellatly Street. Site now lies partly beneath the Seagate, partly beneath cinema (theatre 1885) at junction of Gellatly Street and Seagate.
Source: ‘Historic Dundee – The Archaeological Implications of Development’, Scottish Burgh Survey 1988