Streetwise: Hyndford Street

Hyndford Street received its name in commemoration of the Carmichaels, Earls of Hyndford, though these noblemen had no immediate connection with Dundee. John Carmichael was created Earl of Hyndford in 1701, chiefly because of the support he gave to the Treaty of Union of the Parliaments of Scotland and England. On the death of Andrew, sixth Earl of Hyndford, unmarried, in April 1817, the title became dormant, but has been claimed several times.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925