Streetwise: Gellatly Street

Name Plate

Gellatly Street was laid out by the removal of two old closes that ran from the Seagait to the river, called respectively Drummond’s Close and Mitchell’s Close.

In 1810 Peter Gellatly became proprietor of several of the buildings there and when the street was completed it was named after him. He died in 1841 as the result of an accident.

Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925