Associated with dyers trade early 16th century at least, perhaps because of proximity to burn. Murraygait remained centre of dyers craft until late 18th century.
Appears with fully built frontages 1793. Apparently little change 1858. Cleared 1874 when Commercial Street formed close now beneath 80 High Street (built 1876–92 with extensive basement area); survival potential of frontages poor. South east extremity of close beneath High Street. Frontage may survive here but possibly cut by services trenches. North west end of close may lie beneath present Rankine’s Court.
Dyer’s Close extant 1514, removed 1874.
Source: ‘Historic Dundee – The Archaeological Implications of Development’, Scottish Burgh Survey 1988