Dalgleish Road was named in honour of the late Sir William Ogilvy Dalgleish, Bart. (1832–1913), a highly esteemed benefactor to the city in many ways.
In 1860, during the early years of his married life, Sir William resided at Mayfield House, Arbroath Road, which was sold at a reduced price to the Provincial Committee to be occupied as a Hostel for Students attending Dundee Training College. When the street was made beside Mayfield House to connect Arbroath Road and Broughty Ferry Road, it was called Dalgleish Road in memory of Sir William Ogilvy Dalgleish, Bart.
Source: ‘Glimpses of Old and New Dundee’ – A.H. Millar, January 1925