Science and Business
The Science and Business Centre is situated on the Reference Floor. We aim to meet the needs of our users by providing the following information services and resources covering a range of subjects, including:
Architecture - Computing - Engineering - Law - Mathematics - Car Workshop Manuals - Physics - Business - Accountancy - Management - Building - DIY - Chemistry - Interior Design - Economics - Photography - Earth Sciences - Astronomy.
Items are available for loan as well as reference and range from textbooks to trade directories and various statistical publications.
A wide range of magazines on a variety of topics. Back copies are retained for a minimum period of six months and are available on request.
"Which" reports, including Holiday, Gardening and Computing Which. View "Which" online.
Also check out the Ethical Consumer reports from the magazine of the same name.
The Centre houses the Central Library's European Public Information Centre. Free leaflets on living in Europe are available to take away.
Facilities are available within the Centre.
26 PCs are available for public use including five scanners. Print-outs are available. One PC has software for the visually impaired. Internet sessions finish 30 minutes before closing time. Booking of PCs is advisable. Free Wi-Fi service available.
CD and DVD Resources
- Official DSA Theory Test for Car Drivers
- Construction Skills Health and Safety Test
- Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception
- Prepare for your Practical Driving Test: the Official DSA Guide
- Television Servicing manuals
- Ferret's Social Security Law
- FT.com - Note access to articles in FT.com is available only within Science & Business Centre. Please ask staff in the Science & Business Centre for login details.
- Global Reference Solution (Scotland) - search this database to obtain information on Scottish businesses. Available only within The Science & Business Centre.
- Which? Online- Consumer advice in libraries. Please ask staff in the Science & Business Centre for login details. Available only within The Science & Business Centre.
- Driving Theory Test - sign up and practise for your driving theory test.
- British Standards Online - British Standards online is the most comprehensive and authoritative collection of British, and adopted European and International Standards.
- Croner i-Business Essentials - Your Croner-i-Business Essentials contains a vast range of information, practical guidance and tools to help you in your day-to-day work.
- Edinburgh Gazette - The Edinburgh Gazette is a cross-government resource, bringing together data from numerous official sources.
- London Gazette - The London Gazette's historical position as the Official Newspaper of Record for the United Kingdom has enabled it to develop into a unique bank of information.
Companies House DirectCompany data can be ordered from Companies House, the official register of UK companies)
Inter-library loan/request serviceIf we cannot supply the information you need, it can be ordered in for you. There is a small charge for this service.